Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Oh dear..

I have been thinking about it for weeks and I finally got the nerve to go through my dad's things. I really thought that I would be OK because I have somewhat prepped myself for this. I started to go back into my dad's room frequently on a daily basis. It started with once a week to once a day to a few times a day. So I decided last week that I would do it today and all week I have been thinking about it.

So I started today and realized that the heart is still hurting. Going through the things that my dad saved like our school awards and pictures.. letters that I wrote or things that remind him of us.. I started tearing up. You can't help but to think stuff like "did he really know I loved him" and things like.. "I should have .." fill in the blanks.

Then things like sight, smell and touch came into play and I sat on the floor with my dad's shirt in on hand and the comforter he used in the other and started to cry. I thought about all the things that my dad kept looks like junk to people from the outside but sentimental to him for whatever reason. That is where I get that from. I am pretty sentimental myself and as you can see to throw anything of my dad's right now has been difficult.

Does it get easier? I guess I am on my journey to find that out.

1 comment:

  1. It's ok to take your time, breathe. One thing we really regretted doing when Elton's mom passed away was that we cleaned out all her stuff while his dad was out on a trip after the funeral. He came home and was really sad that all her things were gone. I don't think he had time to slowly let go of her things. So don't be afraid to take your time.

    ReplyDelete